1/3 Photos of Italian Apple Cake
This is my first post! Every time I make this cake people beg me for the recipe. Its adapted from an authentic Italian recipe and it's incredibly quick and easy to make. It uses everyday ingredients (omit the Amaretto if you don't have any) and the result is a moist, almost pudding-like cake which is full of flavour. Perfect for a decadent afternoon tea or to serve as a dessert. Hope you like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cooking apples
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (not dessicated)
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 150 g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons amaretto liqueur (substitute a couple of drops of almond essence or omit this step if neither is available)
- icing sugar, for dusting (confectioner's)
- 1Set oven to 180C (350F).
- 2Grease and lightly flour a 23cm (9 inch) round cake tin.
- 3You'll also need three mixing bowls- small, medium and large- for this recipe.
- 4DO NOT PEEL the apples.
- 5Cut into chunks about 1/2" square- discarding the core.
- 6Place apple chunks into the first (medium) mixing bowl.
- 7Toss apple in lemon juice to avoid discoloration, then drain off and discard excess juice.
- 8Add raisins and coconut to the apples.
- 9Tip walnuts onto cutting board and sprinkle over 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 10Chop nuts roughly with the sugar, then add nuts and'nut flavoured' sugar to the apple mixture.
- 11Mix well.
- 12In the second (large) mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 13In the third (small) bowl, combine eggs and sugar and beat until light and lemon colored.
- 14Still beating, add the melted butter and the liqueur (or essence).
- 15Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture.
- 16Stir until well combined.
- 17Tip in the apple mixture and mix well.
- 18At this stage it may seem you have too much apple and not enough batter- don't worry!
- 19Turn the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- 20Bake on the centre shelf of the oven at 180C (350F) for about 45-50 minutes or until the top of the cake has turned a nice golden brown.
- 21(Test with a skewer if unsure.) Remove cake from oven, turn onto a rack to cool.
- 22Sprinkle with icing (confectioner's) sugar to serve.
- 23Serve with thick cream.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 660.0
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 123.9 mg
- Sodium 232.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 40.4 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: