1/5 Photos of Israeli Couscous Pepper Salad
A yummy salad that makes a great summer supper! Adapted from Epicurean. Couscous or kuskus is a pasta from the Maghreb of Berber origin. It consists of spherical granules made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat and then coating them with finely ground wheat flour. The finished grains are about 1 mm in diameter before cooking. The Israeli variant is about twice the diameter and made of hard wheat instead of semolina. The dish is a primary staple throughout much of Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, and Libya . It is also popular in the West African Sahel, in France, Madeira island, in western Sicily's Trapani province, and parts of the Middle East. It is particularly popular among Jews of North African descent, such as the Berber Jews, and is eaten in many other parts of the world as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup israeli couscous
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or black beans)
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Bring water(or broth) to a boil.
- 2Add couscous, olive oil and salt. Simmer for about 10 to 12 minutes or until tender to the bite. Drain and cool couscous.
- 3Combine couscous with kidney beans, peppers, onion, green onion, cilantro, parsley and hot pepper flakes.
- 4Whisk together honey, lime juice, olive oil and combine with couscous mixture.
- 5Season with additional salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Israeli Couscous Pepper Salad
Serving Size: 1 (1475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.0
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 517.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 11.5 g