Nana Lee's Note:
I'm not a fish eater but many of your seem to like salmon. So here is an Irish version of Salmon Cakes.
My Private Note
cakes e ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 lb salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- flour, for dredging
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs, for dredging
- 1Put the potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with salted, cold water and bring up to a boil.
- 2Cook until tender, 12-15 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, put the salmon in a large, shallow skillet, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cover halfway with water or white wine.
- 4Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer to poach.
- 5Cover with a lid.
- 6Turn one time when halfway through cooking, and cook until opaque in the center.
- 7Remove from the pan and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- 8Remove skin (if it is on) and any bones.
- 9Flake the fish into medium-size chunks.
- 10When the potatoes are cooked, drain and return to the pan.
- 11Mash with milk while still hot to a fluffy, even consistency.
- 12Add tarragon and parsley.
- 13Fold in the salmon.
- 14Season to taste.
- 15Once cooled, add the egg and mix again. Chill for at least 10 minutes before forming the patties.
- 16Shape the mixture into 8 to 10 evenly sized cakes.
- 17Lightly dredge in flour, pass through the egg wash and then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- 18Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large, nonstick skillet.
- 19Add the patties, being careful not to crowd them, and cook in batches.
- 20Turn when cooked to a golden brown.
- 21Count on about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately, garnish with lemon slices, parsley and a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Salmon Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.9
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 167.0 mg
- Sodium 222.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 30.3 g