Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs 5 mins
Start this Sunday Morning and your ready for kick-off!
- 680.38 g beef, cut into chunks (splurge on the cut if you can)
- 59.14 ml butter
- 297.66 g can tomato soup
- 297.66 g can water
- 4 carrots, cut into chunks
- 4 large potatoes, cut into chunks (I don't peel carrots or spuds but you can if you like)
- 2 stalk celery, cut into chunks
- 4 onions, cut into chunks
- 9.85 ml salt
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 59.14 ml good quality cooking sherry
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- In a heavy skillet brown the beef in the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the soup and water and stir well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Transfer to a cast iron dutch oven or oven proof pot and cook in the oven, covered for 5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from oven, remove bay leaves and serve with Irish Soda Bread and butter.
Diana, this was a delicious stew! Everyone in my house loved it. The only downfall was there wasn't enough ; ) Will be keeping this recipe and doubling it. Thanks so much!
One of the best stews I have ever eaten (and I have eaten a lot of stews)!
This is a huge hit with my family, especially the men. I used lamb instead of beef, an extra can of tomato soup, substituted a can of Guiness Stout for the water, and added parsnips and a turnip to the veggies. YUM! I also made this in a camp oven over a fire pit while camping in outback Australia. Thanks for sharing!