Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A potato salad about potatoes - that tastes like potatoes! The magic is to use baking potatoes, fresh cooked, skin on, peeled, and diced while still warm and sprinkled with just enough red wine vinegar to enhance the potato taste. Chopped celery, sweet onion and hard boiled eggs add texture and flavor. The mayonnaise, mixed with the crumbled potato and egg yolk resuts in a creamy, dreamy salad. For the really - really best potato salad, make this an hour or two before serving, cover, let stand at room temp. - then add the mayonnaise and mix.
- 2 lbs baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 stalks roughly chopped celery
- 1⁄2 medium sweet onion, diced (vidalia)
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- chilled lettuce leaf
- 2 -3 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Boil, steam, or pressure cook potatoes until tender, drain and place on paper towels and slice in half.
- While still warm, peel and cut 1/2 of the potatoes into 1 1/2 inch chunks (which will crumble/break apart), sprinkle with 1 tbls of vinegar, repeat with remaining potatoes and vinegar.
- Add celery, onion, egg, salt, pepper and mayonnaise.
- To serve: Line a serving platter with lettuce leaves, add potato salad, top with egg slices and dust with paprika.
FANTASTIC RECIPE! This potato salad is far, far better than any potato salad that my friend, Theresa McBride (yes, 110% Irish) has EVER brought us, which speaks volumes for just how good it really is. Once she reads this, I'm sure she'll be boiling. Happy Birthday, Hon!
Made this for my son's catering business. Everyone really enjoyed this different take on Potato Salad. Made it just as the recipe said. Will definitely make again.