Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is a mashup of several really good corned beef hash recipes I've had over the years. Interestingly, corned beef hash is not an Irish dish but an Irish-American one. Corned beef has been made by the Irish for centuries but mainly for export by the British landowners. It was not eaten by the traditional folk of the Island due to high cost until they emigrated to American and found corned beef to be cheaper than bacon. The corned beef replaced bacon in hash recipes around this time. The cheap cost of corned beef also made the New England Boiled Dinner, consisting of corned beef, cabbage, and root vegetables such as carrots, turnips, and potatoes, extremely popular across New England and Atlantic Canada.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups cooked corned beef, finely diced shredded
- 7 cups root vegetables, finely diced shredded (potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabagas or a mixture)
- 2 cups onions, finely diced shredded
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or 1/2 cup milk or 1/2 cup cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1In a large dutch oven or deep pot, bring the root vegetables to a boil in 4 cups of water seasoned with 2 tsp salt. Reduce heat, and simmer until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain.
- 2Combine the corned beef, root vegetables, onions, and stock. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the corned beef mixture, pressing to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook, without stirring, until golden brown and most of the liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes. Turn hash over. Cook until bottom is golden brown, about 10 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish-American Corned Beef Hash
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 46.0
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cooked corned beef