Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very easy, tried and true recipe. I use a food processor with a shredding blade to get the right texture. You can use a bag of shredded cabbage (found in the refrigerator section of your market) instead of shredding the cabbage yourself. This is best made a few hours before serving or a day in advance.
- 1 head green cabbage, cut into1 inch wedges so it can fit into the food processor
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- Place green cabbage and onions through the processor. Place the cabbage and onion mixture in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar on top. Let stand.
- In a small saucepan, heat oil, sugar, vinegar, salt on medium heat until boiling.
- Pour mixture over cabbage mixture and mix well.
- Sprinkle celery seed over mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.