1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 25 mins
Adapted from Food & Wine magazine, November 2007 issue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick (1 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (1 1/4 lb) lamb shanks
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 cup dried split yellow peas (3 oz)
- 4 dried red chilies
- 2 teaspoons baharat, spice blend or 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 8 small pita bread, wedges warmed
- 1In a bowl, dissolve 2 tsp of salt in 1 quart of water. Add the eggplant, cover with a plate to keep the slices under the water, soak for 30 minute.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven or cast-iron casserole pot, heat 2 Tbl of the oil. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, turning once until well browned, about 5 minutes per side. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened about 10 minutes. Add 3 quarts of water, the pomegranate molasses, split peas, dried chiles, baharat and coriander and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes stirring and skimming every so often.
- 3Drain the eggplant and pat dry. In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 1/2 Tbl of the oil. Add 1/3 of the eggplant and cook over med-high heat until browned, 3 minutes per side; transfer to paper towels to drain. Brown the remaining eggplant in the 3 Tbl of oil. Add the eggplant to the lamb and simmer over low heat, stirring until the lamb is tender, 45 minutes.
- 4Transfer the lamb to a rimmed baking sheet, remove the meat from the bones and cut into 1-inch chunks. Boil the stew over high heat, skimming, until the liquid has reduced to 3 cups, about 40 minutes.
- 5Return the lamb to the stew and season with salt and pepper. Divid the pita among 4 bowls, ladle the soup on top and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi Lamb and Eggplant Stew With Pitas
Serving Size: 1 (881 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1754.7
- Calories from Fat 847
- Total Fat 94.1 g
- Saturated Fat 31.9 g
- Cholesterol 510.0 mg
- Sodium 635.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 162.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: