Arabic Eggplant (Aubergine) Stew
Easy vegetarian stew made in the oven, good as a main dish or served over pasta. From Sunset, credited to Kathren McIntyre.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 lbs eggplants
- 3 (6 ounce) onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- Rinse eggplant.
- Trim off and discard stems.
- Cut eggplant into 2-inch cubes.
- In a 13x9 inch pan, mix eggplant, onions and oil.
- Bake at 450 degrees, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is very soft when pressed, about 45 minutes.
- Drain and rinse garbanzos.
- Drain tomatoes and reserve juice.
- Measure juice and add water to make 1 1/3 cups.
- Add garbanzos, tomatoes and juice mixture to eggplant.
- Continue to bake, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are hot, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This dish has made the cut for my stable Lunch/Dinner recipes. Very easy and simple to make with few ingredient. I did not know chickpeas and eggplant will taste so good!!!. However, I made a mistake when I first cooked this dish and put 56 oz of Diced tomatoes instead the 14 oz and I am so happy that I did. I like the stew like texture. if I would have followed the recipe to the T, it would be a tad bit dry in my opinion. But all in all I have this dish about every other week now and you get 4 good hearty severing that fill you quite well. ^_^
Super easy - super tasty. I added a few seasonings (cinnamon, chilis, cumin, garlic) because I love the flavor of tomatoes with cinnamon but this recipe needs nothing. It would be wonderful without my additions. I had it with brown rice. Love the goat cheese idea and will do that next time...which will be soon - I love eggplant! Thanks for another simple way to prepare it.