Hajar's Eggplant (Aubergine) Braniya Salad
photo by Missy Wombat
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sweet white onion, grated
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, very finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon good sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Brown the eggplant in the oil. No need to salt or fiddle at all with the eggplant. I do this in a large skillet on moderate heat and wait quite a while before moving or turning the cubes. You want it nicely browned and cooked through though not mush. The given amount of oil is enough to do this and I have never had to add more. Your pan will look overfull but the eggplant will shrink.
- While the eggplant is browning prepare the onions, peppers and garlic and place into a glass or plastic bowl.
- Pour eggplant, hot, and it's oil (if any left, though the oil will drain back from the eggplant into the salad during standing for the dressing.) into the bowl over the onion mixture.
- Top with remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate at least 6 hours and serve chilled or room temperature.
- Please use fresh lemon juice and to taste. The amount I use is the juice of 1 fresh lemon. Not easy to give an exact measurement on how much juice 1 lemon will yield but I always use 1 lemon.
- This does need to sit so figure in the sitting time as part of the cook time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I like this a lot, though it's quite different from other salads I've had. Even after resting overnight, the flavors are still pretty strong, and I think next time I make it I'll experiment more with proportions of the seasoning. Still very very nice, and best of all NOT fiddley! I love eggplant, hate directions like, "carefully paint each 1/2 inch slice with olive oil..." This recipe is so much easier. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
www.realethnic.blogspot.com I am marrying soon to a man who loves to eat as much as I love to cook. Gym, here he comes! I am also currently working on 3 cookbooks though I need Dragon software now due to my disabilities. My fiance and I love to be outdoors, have picnics and barbeques where I smoke all sorts of meats. I have traveled the world and am now still in my home port; at least to live but no moss grows under these feet! My fiance cannot cook, however and is now receiving cooking lessons from me. Anyone interested in cooking lessons in my area, please feel free to get in touch.