This is a truly luscious mac & cheese. It takes a little longer than just tossing everything together but it is well worth it. DON'T skip the "reducing" step or it turns out way too runny. This is NOT a lo-cal mac&cheese hehe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb macaroni (can sub any "shaped" pasta)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gouda cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees and butter a 13x9 baking dish.
- 2Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan and reduce it over high heat to 3/4's of a cup.
- 3Bring the cream to a boil and reduce it to two cups being more careful with your heat with the cream so as to not scorch it.
- 4A reminder; don't skip the reducing of the liquids or you will end up with soup and don't just sub the lower amounts to start out with; the concentrations lend a different flavor.
- 5Melt the butter and olive oil in a large pot and cook the onions and garlic until tender and translucent.
- 6Cook the pasta to desired tenderness.
- 7Add the reduced cream and reduced broth to the onion/garlic mix then add the mustard, cheddar, gouda and gruyere cheeses and whisk until melted and well blended.
- 8Add the pasta to the cheese sauce; mix well and put it buttered baking dish.
- 9Top with the parmesan cheese and bake at 450 for 10-15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indulgent Mac & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1013.8
- Calories from Fat 634
- Total Fat 70.4 g
- Saturated Fat 41.7 g
- Cholesterol 234.8 mg
- Sodium 767.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 32.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: