1/3 Photos of Indonesian Yellow Rice
This yellow rice or Indonesian calls 'Nasi Kuning' usually only serves for festive occasion and shaped into a cone with different sidedish. But since I live in Slovenia, I don't wait for special day to make it. Eventhough takes time for me to cook different side dishes. I love it and my husband always has a big smile everytime I make this for the lunch =^_^=
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups basmati rice or 3 cups jasmine rice
- 5 cm fresh turmeric, peeled and scraped (or you can use turmeric powder as a subtitute)
- 2 cups of thick coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 salam leaf (you can use a bayleaf as a subtitute)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemongrass, bruised or 2 tablespoons powdered lemon grass
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Wash and drain the rice in a sieve or colander.
- 2Put the fresh turmeric in a blender with 1/4 cup water and process until fine. Strain through a sieve, pushing to extact all the juice. Measure 2 tablespoons and discard the rest. If fresh turmeric is not available, mix 2 teaspoons turmeric powder with 2 tablespoons of water.
- 3Put rice, turmeric water and all other ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Cover and bring to the boil over moderate heat. Stir, lower heat to the minimum and cook until the rice is done.
- 4Remove all leaves before serving. Serving with fried chicken, potato croquette and fresh cucumber.
- 5Helpful hints : If the rice seems to be too dry before the grains are soft and swollen, sprinkle with a little more water and continue cooking.
- 6If you have a rice cooker, you can do it easier by putting rice, turmeric water and all other ingredients in a rice cooker. Cover and let it cooked. Stir a bit while cooking, then cover and continue cooking. Usually after 20 minutes, the rice is ready.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indonesian Yellow Rice
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 797.5
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 667.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 15.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves