Recipe by Sue Lau
One of the best known dishes of Indonesia.
Top Review by Joolsey
what a delicious recipe! i used canned chicken and frozen veggie mix and it was a great success. if you do not have time to wait for fresh rice to dry out, spread it thinly on a baking sheet and pop it in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. thank you for the great recipe!
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 3 red chilies, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- sliced cucumber (to garnish)
- sliced tomatoes (to garnish)
- 8 ounces sliced chicken or 8 ounces sliced pork or 8 ounces medium shrimp, shelled,deveined and chopped (optional)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: This dish is usually served with traditional meat accompaniments or with meat in the dish; so the meat and cabbage to go in is optional.
- Stir the rice with a fork to separate the grains.
- Pour a small amount of oil in a wok and fry the egg to make a thin omelet; cool, then shred.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok and fry the shallots, garlic, chilies and shrimp paste until the shallots are tender (if adding any meat or shredded cabbage to this dish, add now and cook until meat is cooked through).
- Increase the heat to high and add the rice, salt and soy sauce, adding a little oil if necessary, stirring constantly until well mixed and heated through.
- Garnish with shredded egg, cucumber, and tomato.
- Serve with fried egg, fried chicken, satay, and shrimp crackers, (in the traditional style), if desired.