Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A recipe from Ricardo posted for ZWT8 India
Make and share this Indian-Style Red Lentil Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml butter
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, grated
- 1182.95 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml coconut milk
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 177.44 ml red lentil
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, soften the onion, garlic and carrot in the butter.
- Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, broth, coconut milk and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil and add the lentils. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with pan-fried flatbread.
What an exquisite soup! Fantastic, full flavor. It would also be good during a time of illness; the spicing seems just right for it. I used a full 1 cup of lentils to avoid any complaints that it was "too thin". The lentils pretty much dissolved into the soup. I forgot the carrot, but the soup didn't seem to lack for anything anyway. One of the best soups I've ever had.
The curry powder, ginger and coconut milk made this soup a wonderful change from the regular red lentil soup I make all the time. It was even better the next day. I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
I made this soup last night and used a dairy free butter to cook the veggies. So the soup is GF and dairy free. What a delicious aroma while cooking! I couldn't wait to try it. I LOVED it! This is going to be one of my favorite soups to make! I ended up eating 3 servings as I couldn't get enough of the flavor. YUM! I also added some basmati rice to it to make it more substantial. That was a great addition. With or without rice..it's a winner! THANK YOU!