Easy Red Lentil Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I am a newbie to cooking and my first success has been this soup! Everyone loves it and now I can't stop making it!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 celery ribs
- 3 carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 0.5 (3 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Boil red lentils and water for one hour.
- Chop celery, carrots and garlic.
- Add stock and water to pot of lentils.
- Add celery, carrots and garlic to pot of lentils.
- Bring to boil.
- Add tomato paste, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve the thick, rich soup and enjoy!
- Add more or less stock and/or water depending on how thick/thin you like your soup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Quite tasty. Did as the other reviewers before and skipped the initial cooking of the lentils. Did not use celery (personal preference), but used a whole diced yellow onion instead, and used the whole can of tomato paste because I did not measure the peas, just used the remainder of a bag and it looked to be more than a cup. Added a little Of Prudhomme's chicken seasoning at the end instead of the salt and served with cornbread. Even picky DH said it was "alright" - a pretty high compliment from that meateater!Reply
Loved the kick that the cayenne pepper gave this soup. I skipped Step 1 and went straight to Step 2 and then simmered for 30-45 minutes. Since I skipped Step 1, I did not use the second ingredient which was 2 cups of water. I ended up with 6 - 1 cup servings. So delicious that I'll be making this often. Made for *New Kids On The Block 2009* gameReply