Sweet Potato, Carrot, Apple, and Red Lentil Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- plain yogurt
- 1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Place the chopped sweet potatoes, carrots, apple, and onion in the pot. Stir and cook the apples and vegetables until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir the lentils, ginger, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and vegetable broth into the pot with the apple and vegetable mixture. Bring the soup to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils and vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Working in batches, pour the soup into a blender, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Puree in batches until smooth and pour into a clean pot. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot.
- 4. Return the pureed soup to the cooking pot. Bring back to a.
- simmer over medium-high heat, about 10 minutes. Add water as needed to thin the soup to your preferred consistency. Serve with yogurt for garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to cook, but with two picky kids (ages 5 and 8) and no free time, I have a limited ability to be creative these days. I try to feed my family healthy foods so am always looking for quick, but wholesome meals. I usually only review the recipes that we found to be outstanding or very good. If something came out badly or I changed it drastically, I don't feel that it's fair to give it a poor review.