1/1 Photo of Indian-Style Lamb Shanks With Dried Apricots
3 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 15 mins
This recipe was part of lamb feature in our local/state paper The West Australian. Times are estimated and will depend to on the size of your shanks, on average ours are about 500g (not french trimmed) and normally takes closer to the 2 /12 hours, french trimmed are usually 300g to 400g and would take about the 2 hours. I personally would use a greek style yoghurt as I have found it cooks better and doesn't tend to split.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lamb shanks (preferable french trimmed)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ginger (freshly grated)
- 1 brown onion (large finely chopped)
- 1 chili (red large finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (400 g) tomatoes (canned)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cup dried apricot
- 3 tablespoons coriander (leaves)
- 1Heat oil in a large pot and then add the garlic, ginger, onion and chilli.
- 2Cook for a few minutes to soften the onion and then add the fennel, turmeric and cardamom.
- 3Next add the lamb shanks coating well with spice mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Now add the honey, tomato paste, canned tomatoes and water and bring to the boil and lower to a simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender (I prefer nearly falling of the bone).
- 5Alternatively you could put it in a 160c fan forced or 180C non-fan forced oven for the 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- 6Add the yoghurt and apricots and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 7Stir through the coriander leaves just before serving.
- 8Recommend serving with basmati rice and spicy chutney.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian-Style Lamb Shanks With Dried Apricots
Serving Size: 1 (627 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 830.3
- Calories from Fat 393
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 252.7 mg
- Sodium 289.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 23.6 g
- Protein 76.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: