Recipe by diner524
Found this recipe on About.com - Indian Food and am posting (without trying it myself) for ZWT. Here is what is stated about the recipe: "What with the huge amounts of western influence, burgers are popular food in India. Want to give your burgers an Indian flavor? So easy!" This recipe suggests using a mint-coriander chutney as a condiment on the bun and I have posted a recipe for it separately - Mint-Coriander Chutney.
- 500 gms/ 18 ounces beef, finely minced (or lamb)
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, keep leaves and stems, remove roots, chopped very fine (approximately 100 gms or 0.22 lbs)
- 2 green chilies, chopped very fine
- 2 slices bread, soaked in water till soft and then crumbled
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon limes or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- cooking oil, to shallow fry the burger patties
- 4 hamburger buns
- butter, to spread on the buns
- 4 tablespoons mint-coriander chutney (recipe for Mint-Coriander Chutney)
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Take a large mixing bowl and put the minced meat, ginger and garlic pastes, chopped coriander, chopped green chillies, bread crumbs (as above), spice powders, salt to taste and lime/ lemon juice in it.
- Mix thoroughly to blend all ingredients and create a patty mix. Divide into 4 portions and form into patties. Line a plate with baking paper and place the patties on it for later.
- Heat the oil in a large griddle or frying pan, on a low to medium flame. When hot, add the patties to it (do not overcrowd the pan) and cook on both sides, till done.
- While the patties are cooking, slice each bun in the center, open and then lightly toast in a grill or toaster oven. Butter as desired.
- Now spread about 1 tbsp of Mint-Coriander Chutney on each bun.
- Place a cooked patty on each bun and add onion and tomato rings. Season with salt if required, close the bun and serve right away.