Recipe by FloridaNative
This easy chicken-and-asparagus sauté is boldly seasoned with aromatic cumin and fennel; the seeds are toasted in a skillet before grinding to bring out the most flavor. If you don’t want to buy a whole jar of the spices, look for them in the bulk spice section in natural-foods stores and buy just what you need for this recipe. Serve over brown rice, millet or quinoa. From EatingWell: March/April 2011. Posted for ZWT8.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small fresh chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 lbs asparagus (woody ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk (See Tip)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast cumin and fennel seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Finely grind in a spice grinder (such as a clean coffee grinder) or with a mortar and pestle.
- Toss chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, onion, garlic, chile and ginger; cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus, sprinkle with the remaining spice mixture and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer for 2 minutes more.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juice to the pan and cook until the chicken is just cooked through and the asparagus is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with cilantro.
- TIPS and NOTES: Refrigerate leftover coconut milk for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months. It will appear separated when thawed; simply mix until smooth.
- Nutrition Bonus: Folate (34% daily value), Vitamin A (21% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2.
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat.