Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Indian pudding is a traditional New England fare. It is served around Thanksgiving, but is good anytime. This is my favorite of all the recipes I have tried. It is very rich!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a baking dish with 1 tbsp butter.
- In a saucepan combine milk and molasses.
- Then gradually stir in cornmeal.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove pudding from heat and stir in 1 tbsp butter.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg.
- Then add sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- Gradually add egg mixture to hot corneal pudding, stirring constantly.
- Pour into a greased baking dish and bake uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours or until pudding has thickened.
- Serve with warm with vanilla ice cream.