Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can leave out the green chilies and adjust the red chilli pepper to your taste. My favourite fish for this recipe is fresh cod or shark. Don't forget the cold beer or lemonade, we love pink! Tasty appetizer popular in India, recipe from an online pen-pal forum. Chutneys can be found in Indian shops, some supermarkets carry some, i prefer the Indian shops or picking up from an Indian restaurant works also !!
- 453.59 g boneless white-fleshed fish, cut into chunks
- lemon juice, enough to wash fish with
- 177.44 ml garbanzo flour
- 29.58 ml cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1-4 green chili, chopped & (seeded if you like)
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 9.85 ml ginger, minced
- 7.39 ml red chili powder, indian style
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 4.92 ml cumin seed, roasted and ground to a powder
- oil (for deep frying, as much as you need)
- lemons or lime wedge (optional)
- chopped onion (optional)
- chopped tomato (optional)
- tamarind chutney (optional)
- mint-cilantro chutney (optional)
- Wash the fish with the lemon juice, rinse, pat dry and salt to taste; set aside.
- Mix rest of the ingredients and add enough water to make a thick batter, salt to taste.
- Dip the fish in the batter and fry in batches in medium to high heat until the coating is a deep golden brown and the fish is cooked thoroughly.
- Drain on paper towels, serve with lemon wedges and your choice of garnishes.