Recipe by Girl from India
This is a Madhur Jaffrey recipe that I use often. The Prep time includes cooking time
Top Review by Mallina Cashew
This was great!! The ground rice really makes a difference in the texture and cuts down on the cooking time!! I needed to add some salt though. Also, I had to constatly be near the pot b/c the bottom of the pot began to burn!! The end result was well worth it. THX
- 1 liter rich milk
- 10 cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoons finely ground rice (raw uncooked rice)
- 6 -7 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely slivered pistachios or 2 tablespoons finely chopped unsalted pistachios
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the milk into a wide, preferably non-stick pan.
- Add the cardamom pods and bring to a boil without letting the milk spill over.
- Quickly turn heat to medium- the milk should simmer vigourously as possible without boiling over- and cook, stirring now and then, for about 15-20 mins.
- or until the milk has reduced to 750 ml (1 1/4 pints).
- Sprinkle the ground ruce slowly into the pan, stirring as you go.
- Add the sugar as well.
- Stir now and then cooking for 7-8 mins.
- or until the pudding has thickened to a creamy consistency, turning the heat down a bit towards the end.
- Turn off the heat and pick out the cardamom pods and discard.
- Roast the almonds and pistachios lightly over a cast iron griddle pan.
- Set aside.
- When the pudding has cooled to lukewarm stir in the almonds into it.
- Ladle the pudding into 4-6 small serving cups (the kind used for caramel custard) Sprinkle the top with the pistachios and cover with cling film.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until cold and set.