Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is a Madhur Jaffrey recipe that I use often. The Prep time includes cooking time
Make and share this Indian Creamy Rice Pudding (Phirni) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 liter rich milk
- 10 cardamom pods
- 3 tablespoons finely ground rice (raw uncooked rice)
- 6 -7 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons finely slivered pistachios or 2 tablespoons finely chopped unsalted pistachios
- Pour the milk into a wide, preferably non-stick pan.
- Add the cardamom pods and bring to a boil without letting the milk spill over.
- Quickly turn heat to medium- the milk should simmer vigourously as possible without boiling over- and cook, stirring now and then, for about 15-20 mins.
- or until the milk has reduced to 750 ml (1 1/4 pints).
- Sprinkle the ground ruce slowly into the pan, stirring as you go.
- Add the sugar as well.
- Stir now and then cooking for 7-8 mins.
- or until the pudding has thickened to a creamy consistency, turning the heat down a bit towards the end.
- Turn off the heat and pick out the cardamom pods and discard.
- Roast the almonds and pistachios lightly over a cast iron griddle pan.
- Set aside.
- When the pudding has cooled to lukewarm stir in the almonds into it.
- Ladle the pudding into 4-6 small serving cups (the kind used for caramel custard) Sprinkle the top with the pistachios and cover with cling film.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until cold and set.
This was great!! The ground rice really makes a difference in the texture and cuts down on the cooking time!! I needed to add some salt though. Also, I had to constatly be near the pot b/c the bottom of the pot began to burn!! The end result was well worth it. THX
This didn't really work out. I used white rice flour that stuck together a lot. A whisk would definitely have helped with that. I had to sieve the pudding because there were rice flour chunks in it. I used rice milk as I usually do to be dairy free (this is not the reason it wasn't very good) and added an extra bruised cardamom pod but still I found the pudding lacked flavor. I used a lot less white sugar out of preference. We enjoy Afghanistan Firnee, Almond & Cardamom Cream Pudding much more. Made for India -- More Than Just Curries Tag Game.
I make this recipe often - when we have guests over for Indian food. I substitute coconut milk (to make it vegan) and use a rice cereal/farina (bob's red mill brand). Also, I sprinkle the toasted nuts on the top rather than stirring them in. I love the cardamom flavor & sometimes add grated coconut to the pudding as it cooks.