Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 12 medium cucumbers
- 6 green tomatoes
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 sweet green peppers
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 2 onions
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 4 cups vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, Ground
- 2 tablespoons white mustard seeds
- Slice the cucumbers and green tomatoes; peel and slice the ripe tomatoes.
- Seed and chop the peppers, peel and finely chop the onions.
- Mix the vegetables with the salt and let stand overnight.
- Drain the vegetables, add 2 cups of the vinegar and the water, and bring slowly to a boil.
- Drain again.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, turmeric, cloves and allspice to a smooth paste with a little of the vinegar.
- Bring the remaining vinegar to a boil, stir in the paste, and add the white mustard seeds and the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn into hot jars and seal.
My friend just made this and it is without doubt the most delicious relish I've ever tasted. Well worth the effort.
Thanks, This is fantastic. I used to make this one years ago but had lost the recipe in a fire. Made three batches this year and am not sure if this will do the year with all the people asking for a jar! Easy to make. Was easier with an electric food chopper,[on my wih list], but quite do-able by hand. The very best relish for ham and by far my favorite. We use it on everthing. My husband loves it with game.