1/11 Photos of Imam Bayildi (A Stuffed Eggplant Recipe from Asia Minor)
1 hr 10 mins
The story behind this dish is that the Imam (a Turkish official in the Ottoman Empire) fainted when his wife told him she'd used up all the olive oil in making this dish. Eggplant is an oil sponge, it loves to soak it up. Having said that, it is also very, very delicious, and if you allow the eggplant to drain well after frying them, you will still cut calories while retaining great taste. Great dish - vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute the onions in a little oil.
- 2Add the garlic, tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- 3Cook until it comes together as a very thick stew (no liquid). Stir in mint.
- 4Cut the stem ends from each eggplant and cut eggplants in half lengthwise.
- 5Make 3 lengthwise slits, almost from end to end, cutting into the flesh about 1 inch deep.
- 6Heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 7Add the eggplant, cut side down, and fry gently, until dark golden-brown on cut side.
- 8Turn over and fry on skin side a couple more minutes.
- 9Remove from oil (most of it will have been absorbed) and place on paper towels to drain for at least 15 minutes before proceeding with recipe (this gets rid of most of the oil- you can omit the frying step to cut calories and save time, but you will NOT have the same flavourful results, and the recipe will not be as authentic).
- 10Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 11Hold each slit apart and spoon the vegetable mixture into each cavity.
- 12Arrange eggplants in a baking dish just large enough to hold them.
- 13Sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice, and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- 14Bake for 40 minutes, or until tender.
- 15Serve with lots of crusty bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Imam Bayildi (A Stuffed Eggplant Recipe from Asia Minor)
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 352.9
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 4.4 g