Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a rich tasting "creamy" soup that contains no cream or butter. Potatoes are used as a thickener. For a vegetarian soup, use vegetarian chicken broth (available at Whole Food Markets and health food stores). This recipe is from Il Moro Restaurant, in West Los Angeles.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 zucchini, chopped
- 2 boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 bunch basil, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- garlic-flavored croutons (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until softened.
- Add zucchini, potatoes, salt and pepper (to taste) and cook several minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth (or vegetarian chicken broth) and cook over medium heat until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Add basil and bay leaf and simmer about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Discard bay leaf, allow soup to cool.
- Puree soup in a blender until smooth and creamy. Reheat before serving.
- Serve with garlic croutons (optional).