Recipe by Sassy in da South
Oh so very good and easy to make. My grandkids love these and we make them often.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 13×9-inch baking pan with foil.
- Spray foil with no stick cooking spray.
- Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat butter and 3/4 cup of the sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg until well blended.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until well mixed.
- Stir in molasses and water just until blended.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer until smooth.
- Beat in remaining 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the icing; refrigerate remaining icing.
- Spoon dollops (about 1 teaspoon each) of the reserved icing over batter in pan.
- With knife or spatula, swirl icing through batter to marbleize.
- Bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes.
- Lift out of pan using foil.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Invert and peel off foil.
- Spread refrigerated icing over bars.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator.