Recipe by Chef Rangel
You can pretend to be healthy with this simple salad.
Top Review by Scoutie
This is fantastic! I first saw this recipe in Bon Appetit magazine, the January 2006 edition. I prepare the bacon ahead of time, and sometimes add cherry or grape tomatoes, halved. The hot sauce gives it a nice kick! Thanks for posing, Rangel!
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled blue cheese
- buttermilk (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges, each with some core attached
- 1⁄2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- chppoed candied walnuts or pecans, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Add blue cheese and stir until well blended. If too thick, thin with buttermilk by tablespoonfuls to desired consistency. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until golden brown and beginning to crisp. Arrange lettuce on plates. Spoon dressing over.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer warm bacon from skillet onto salads, dividing equally. Garnish with red onions and candied nuts.