Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Very good friends of our's made these at Christmastime and I finally asked for the recipe and tried making them myself. They are time-consuming, but oh, so good and worth the time and effort! Perhaps they'll become a holiday tradition in your home! (Prep time includes minimum chilling time)
- Mix margarine and cottage cheese.
- Add flour until well-mixed and smooth dough forms.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least a couple of hours.
- (Shape into walnut-sized balls before or after chilling).
- Roll each ball on floured board to the size of a small saucer.
- (You can mix some sugar with the flour for rolling).
- Make filling by mixing sugar and nuts in blender or food processor till finely chopped.
- Place TSP.
- of filling in center of circles.
- Fold circles in half and seal.
- Form into crescents.
- Sprinkle with sugar and place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- ***NOTE:You may need to make more filling.
- Also, you may adjust the size of the dough circles too for different sized cookies.
- If you do this, you may need to adjust baking time too!
My DH and I both enjoyed these. I used fat free cottage cheese and I used butter. They took a little longer than 20min. probably more like 22. I got a few more than 48 but don't know exactly how many as we were eating them before I got a chance to count them. You might think they would be too sweet with all that brown sugar in them (I used brown sugar instead of white) but they are not too sweet. The pastry comes out very flaky. They are time comsuming as Martha said but nice for a special treat.