Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a rich thick stew.
Make and share this Hungarian Mixed Bean Goulash recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained (cannellini or Great Northern beans)
- 1 (16 ounce) can lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- Add small amounts of water as necessary, about a tablespoon at a time, to prevent sticking. Add remaining ingredients, except yogurt. Mix well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, the reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir several times while cooking.
- Serve over noodles or rice and top each serving with 2 tablespoonfuls of yogurt.
This recipe was included in Book#228608. October 21, 2008 --This is a delicious, healthy, and filling dish, sure to be enjoyed by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Except for adding 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder, I followed the recipe exactly as written. We loved the combination of beans and even my fussy son finished his plateful in record time. I served this with rice and it made a perfect meal. It was so terrific that I'm making it again this week; it's one of the best vegetarian stews I've ever tasted!
Wonderful and healthy recipe!