Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
This is a very flaky cookie that has been in my family years. My grandmother passed it down to all. I've seen it called many other names but in my house we've nicknamed it: Mom's Hurry Up Cream Cheese Cookies, because if your kitchen is too warm they do become a bit difficult to handle. So if you plan on having a day of baking.... do these first! You're gonna love them. NOTE: Very easy to make total time includes refrigeration of 1 hr if your kitchen is warm from holiday baking.
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter.
- To this, add the flour - in small portions by hand.
- When it comes together, turn over on a lightly floured surface and add the rest of the flour to form a dough (IT WILL BE SOFT - but it should be smooth)
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick on a floured surface.
- Cut into squares about 2 x 2 and fill center with about 1/4 tsp of the lekvar.
- Bring together opposite corners and pinch and fold over.
- Bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for about 15 - 20 minutes until lite gold at 350F (Be careful not to let them burn).
- While still warm, role in powdered sugar and let cool.
- Once cooled, repeat the powdered sugar coating once more.
- You can use any flavor lekvar or even an almond paste.
- It just has to be really thick so it doesn't run while baking.
We made, we ate and we all LOVE this!
but I'm using raspberry and apricot instead of prune, also very nice too.
Thank you for great recipe :)
Just like my Great Grandmother made! I havn't had these since long before she passed. All of her recipes were lost with her because she measured everything by eye or in her hands. Nothing was written down.
Exceptional recipe for a childhood favorite! I think of my grandparents every time I see these cookies...