1 hr 5 mins
This recipe has been passed down for generations throughout my family. It tends to be a rich holiday treat for us and we never fail to share it with others. After MANY requests for the recipe I have decided to make it my first RecipeZaar post. I hope you enjoy. As a side note, the jam can be any seedless variety, raspberry just happens to be my favorite. The dough is meant to be flaky so be certain not to over handle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325.
- 2Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x9x2 cake pan and set aside.
- 3Cream the butter, sugar, and yolks.
- 4Fold in flour and walnuts.
- 5Divide the batter in half. Do not over handle the dough. One half will serve as the top layer and the other as the bottom.
- 6Take a piece of batter and gently flatten it using your fingers. You will see that the batter tends to make its own sections. Work with those. Place this section on the bottom of the cake pan and continue until you have covered the bottom of the cake pan in a patchwork manner. Do not worry about the dough not looking smooth in the pan, you will fix that in a minute.
- 7If you have leftover dough from the half, fill in holes and build up areas that may be thinner than others.
- 8Take the back of a spoon and gently smooth the edges of the dough together so no holes are apparent.
- 9Spread a thin layer of jam over the dough. Do not make the layer thick, you are not making PB and J here.
- 10Use the final half of batter to make the top layer using the same technique as above.
- 11Place in the oven at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes. At around 25 minutes start peaking in the oven, the dough should be a nice golden brown color when it is finished.
- 12Let cookies cool completely before cutting into small squares.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (926 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.7
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 38.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 1.1 g