Recipe by BarbryT
A creamy, tangy, sustaining cream of cauliflower soup, adapted from Wm-Sonoma Kitchen Library
- 8 cups milk
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, finely chopped
- 6 -8 ounces cooked ham, cut into small dice
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
- paprika or smoked paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring milk to a boil, add the onion, carrots and ham. Cover partially and simmer gently over medium heat for 10 minutes (taking care that it doesn't boil over).
- In the meantime, remove flowerets from the cauliflower head and chop very coarsely. You want the pieces fairly large. Add them to the soup and simmer 15 minutes more.
- In a bowl, stir a little of the hot soup with the sour cream until smooth. Add back to the soup and stir until smooth. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Simmer briefly, stir gently but well.
- Serve, sprinkling each bowl with paprika to taste (I like lots).