2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
According to chef Andre Heimann of Andre's Cafe in Manhattan, and Andre's Hungarian Strudels & Pastries in Forest Hills, American' are not exposed to enough cabbage; they know cole slaw. This is his recipe for Cabbage Strudel which he got from Mrs. Herbst's, a Hungarian bakery on Third Avenue, now gone. He suggest serving it with a cucumber salad or a soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; lightly butter a large baking pan and spread cabbage evenly in pan.
- 2Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Cut up 4 ounces (1 stick) butter into small pieces, and sprinkle over cabbage; cover with foil, sealing edges.
- 4Bake until tender and golden, 45 minutes to 60 minutes, occasionally lifting foil and mixing cabbage, then resealing.
- 5Remove from heat, uncover and allow to cool to room temperature (may be stored, covered and refrigerated, for up to 24 hours; use chilled).
- 6Set oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- 7In a small saucepan, melt remaining 4 ounces butter.
- 8Place a sheet of parchment paper on a work surface with the narrow end closest to you, and top with a sheet of phyllo dough.
- 9Brush lengthwise (up and down) with a little butter.
- 10Top with another sheet of phyllo, and brush again with butter.
- 11Repeat until all 10 sheets are buttered and stacked.
- 12Arrange cabbage on dough, at end closest to you, in a thick layer 2 inches deep; spread evenly to edges.
- 13With the help of the parchment paper, roll phyllo, starting at the end with the cabbage, as you work, adjust parchment paper so that phyllo is rolled, enclosing cabbage, without the paper.
- 14Brush top of roll with butter, place on baking sheet and bake until golden, about 40 minutes.
- 15Serve hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hungarian Cabbage Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.5
- Calories from Fat 440
- Total Fat 48.9 g
- Saturated Fat 29.8 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 546.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g