Homemade Toaster Strudel
- Ready In:
2 toaster pasteries
- 1 lb puff pastry
- 1⁄2 cup jam (any flavor)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out puff pastry on a very lightly floured surface until it is thin – maybe 1/3 of its original starting thickness. Use a pizza cutter or a very sharp knife to cut the pastry in half lengthwise, then divide those two pieces into fourths, creating 8 rectangles of dough. (Some puff pastry is packaged in smaller sheets, in this case cut each piece of dough into quarters or sixths.).
- In a small bowl, whisk together jam and cornstarch. Spread 3 tsp of jam in half of each rectangle, making sure to leave about 1/4 inch gap around the edges, then fold it over to create a jam-filled pocket. Seal the pastry by cutting about 1/8-inch of excess pastry with a knife (the “real” toaster strudels have no crimped edges, but you can certainly just press the edges together with a fork if the look doesn’t bother you). Place pastries on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before freezing. Freeze in a single layer on a baking sheet, then transfer to an airtight bag and store together until ready to heat and serve.
- To reheat, place pastries on a baking sheet in a preheated 400F oven for 4 minutes, or until hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!