Recipe by TasteTester
There are a lot of different recipes for Hungarian Beef Goulash, but this is our version -- we've made it many times over the years. I'm glad I can store the recipe here now -- my tattered old recipe card has seen better days.
Top Review by Lainey6605
This is really good! I've never had Hungarian Beef Goulash before so I didn't know what to expect. However, this recipe did not disappoint. It is very tasty and has a wonderful flavor from the paprika and marjoram. Delicious with some crusty bread. Thanks for sharing.
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml sweet Hungarian paprika
- 7.39 ml salt
- 2.46 ml hot Hungarian paprika
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 907.18 g beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 59.16 ml vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 793.78 g beef broth
- 411.06 g stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 236.59 ml water
- 14.79 ml dried marjoram, crushed
- 709.77 ml medium egg noodles, uncooked (about 6 ounces)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, sweet paprika, salt, hot paprika and black pepper in resealable plastic food storage bag. Add 1/2 of beef. Seal bag; shake to coat well. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add one-half of beef; brown on all sides. Transfer to large bowl. Repeat browning with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and remaining beef; transfer to same bowl.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same Dutch oven; add onion and cook 8 minutes or until tender. Add minced garlic cloves and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Return beef and any juices to Dutch oven. Add broth, tomatoes with liquid, water and marjoram. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring once.
- When meat is tender, stir in noodles and bell pepper; cover. Simmer about 8 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring once. To serve, ladle into 8 soup bowls. Dollop with sour cream.