Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Jumped out at me while leafing through the August '08 issue of "Cuisine at Home." According to the article, this grilled chicken is cooked and sold from roadside stands in Hawaii. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds wonderful. At first sight it looks like a lot of work, but I bet it isn't. Just a lot of ingredients. If you make it before me, let us all know how it is, O.K?
- 8 chicken legs
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 4 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place drumsticks in half the pineapple juice mixture in a large resealable plastic bag; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Reduce remaining mixture in a saucepan over medium-high heat until thickened; set aside for basting.
- Preheat grill to high.
- When hot, turn off one burner, leaving the other lit.
- Remove drumsticks from marinade.
- Arrange on UNLIT portion of the grill.
- Cook chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees (about 40 minutes).
- Baste with reserved glaze regularly.
- Turn after 20 minutes; continue basting until done.
Wow! My DH and I just finished eating grilled chicken using this recipe and I couldn't wait to review it. I have been trying lots of different grilled/barbecued chicken recipes lately and this one is THE WINNER. Since we like things spicy sweet, I did substitute 1 Tbsp. of the ketchup for Asian Chili Garlic Sauce (sriracha). It gave it the perfect amount of heat for us. Thanks for this recipe; we will be making this often!
Wonderfully sweet & spicy chicken!
I've made this several times and people always ask for the recipe. It is delicious! The only hard part is crushing ginger, but you can buy it pre crushed in the fresh herb section of some grociers. I wanted to make it today, but couldn't find my Cuisine at Home issue. Thank you for posting this, I would have been heart-broken if I couldn't find it.