Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Huitlacoche [wee-tlah-KOH-cheh] AKA Mexican Corn Truffle (or more unkindly as corn smut) is a fungus which grows naturally on ears of corn. The fungus is harvested and treated as a delicacy in Mexico.This crispy strudel-type dish is perfect in small portions for appetizers or in larger portions for an entree. From the Texas Monthly, 2001.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1⁄2 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons epazote, chopped
- 1 cup canned Huitlacoche, drained
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (available frozen)
- 4 ounces butter, melted
Zucchini Blossom Sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups fresh squash blossoms or 1⁄2 cup canned squash blossoms
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Pour oil into heavy skillet and saute the onions over medium heat until translucent and tender; add next three ingredients and continue to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the huitlacoche and the heavy cream and cook to reduce the cream completely.
- Take off of the burner; stir in the crumbled goat cheese, blending well until melted and allow to cool.
- Spread out a sheet of phyllo dough and brush thoroughly with melted butter, using a pastry brush.
- Repeat 3 times, stacking the sheets one on top of the other.
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a baking pan.
- Spoon the huitlacoche filling on the phyllo sheets, lengthwise.
- Seal the short ends and roll to form a strudel.
- Place strudel on prepared pan and bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- While strudel is baking, saute the onions in 3 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the zucchini blossoms and cook until wilted.
- Add the chicken stock and cook until volume is reduced by half.
- Add the cream and reduce over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend thoroughly.
- Add the remaining melted butter slowly until mixture is well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the strudel into slices about 2 x 2 pieces (or whatever size you wish) and garnish each with 2 tablespoons of zucchini blossom sauce.