Recipe by tucson girl
This is adapted from Couscous Jambalaya, Couscous Jambalaya. I didn't have the same exact ingredients so I improvised and it came out SO GREAT! I just had to share. I think the convenience of this version is great with the frozen veggies and fewer steps, but I'm sure fresh veggies would be fantastic. If you don't have time to let the meat marinate with the seasoning, it seems to be fine to skip that.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb raw shrimp, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken tenders, Boneless, skinless, chopped (about6-8 tenderloin pieces)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup creole seasoning (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (12 -15 ounce) bags frozen mixed vegetables (or substitute any favorite frozen veggies)
- 1 cup chopped tomato (plum is best)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 cup chicken stock (thicker or soupier)
- 2 cups pre- cooked couscous
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- creole seasoning: combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp, chicken and creole seasoning and use your hands to cover meat thoroughly with seasoning. Set aside in fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet (preferably an iron skillet, but any large, non-stick will work) over high heat for 1-3 minutes (don’t let the oil smoke).
- Add the seasoned shrimp and chicken and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, (it’s best if you can evenly sear each side of the pieces in that fist minute or two).
- Add the frozen vegetables and continue to stir fry for 1-2 more minutes, letting the veggies absorb some of the spice in the pan.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire, and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, (this is a good time to pre-cook the couscous in the microwave, follow instructions on box).
- Stir in the couscous and serve immediately.