A sweet, crunchy pickle with a slightly tangy bite - but not really hot. These luscious pickles take 3 days from start to finish; however, total time spent on preparation and cooking is less than 1 hour per day - under 3 hours total. Their excellent flavor makes them well worth the effort. I have to hide them to make them last all year long! Labeled and wrapped with a pretty bow, they make great hostess gifts. NOTE: Pickling lime is a powdered food grade hydrated lime manufactured by Ball and other companies. It makes pickles crunchy/crispy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1DAY 1: Soak cucumbers in Soaking Solution of lime and water for 24 hours, making sure all cucumber slices are covered.
- 2Place a plate on top and weight it with a heavy, clean object, such as a gallon of water.
- 3DAY 2: Remove cucumbers, wash well until water runs clear.
- 4Soak in clear water for 3 hours.
- 5Drain cucumbers and wash again.
- 6Place cucumbers in the Pickling Solution and leave overnight.
- 7DAY 3: After soaking cucumbers in the Pickling solution overnight, pour the pickling solution (reserving the cucumbers) into a very large pot.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Add cucumbers and bring to a boil again.
- 10Boil 35 minutes.
- 11Seal in hot, sterilized, pint or quart canning jars.
- 12Let jars cool and dry.
- 13Label and store.
- 14Chill before serving.
- 15HOUSE SPECIALTY APPETIZERS: Serve chilled, drained pickles slices in a small bowl.
- 16Surround with bowls of thinly sliced summer sausage, crackers, and thinly sliced cheeses (cheddar, swiss, havarti, etc).
- 17To assemble, place summer sausage, pickle slice, and cheese on top of each cracker.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot-Sweet Cucumber Lime Pickles - 3 Day
Serving Size: 1 (11168 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1101.4
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 909.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 272.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 262.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: