Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
A sweet, crunchy pickle with a slightly tangy bite - but not really hot. These luscious pickles take 3 days from start to finish; however, total time spent on preparation and cooking is less than 1 hour per day - under 3 hours total. Their excellent flavor makes them well worth the effort. I have to hide them to make them last all year long! Labeled and wrapped with a pretty bow, they make great hostess gifts. NOTE: Pickling lime is a powdered food grade hydrated lime manufactured by Ball and other companies. It makes pickles crunchy/crispy.
- DAY 1: Soak cucumbers in Soaking Solution of lime and water for 24 hours, making sure all cucumber slices are covered.
- Place a plate on top and weight it with a heavy, clean object, such as a gallon of water.
- DAY 2: Remove cucumbers, wash well until water runs clear.
- Soak in clear water for 3 hours.
- Drain cucumbers and wash again.
- Place cucumbers in the Pickling Solution and leave overnight.
- DAY 3: After soaking cucumbers in the Pickling solution overnight, pour the pickling solution (reserving the cucumbers) into a very large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add cucumbers and bring to a boil again.
- Boil 35 minutes.
- Seal in hot, sterilized, pint or quart canning jars.
- Let jars cool and dry.
- Label and store.
- Chill before serving.
- HOUSE SPECIALTY APPETIZERS: Serve chilled, drained pickles slices in a small bowl.
- Surround with bowls of thinly sliced summer sausage, crackers, and thinly sliced cheeses (cheddar, swiss, havarti, etc).
- To assemble, place summer sausage, pickle slice, and cheese on top of each cracker.
This is the recipe I was looking for , so glad i've found it. I just finished canning 32 pints and can't wait for try them. I did taste them as I was filling the jars and they were delicious....thank you so much for the lime pickles "just like mom used to make"......Stephanie
I canned these this summer and just cracked one open. Very crisp and tangy. Nervous about using pickling lime and not getting it rinsed off well enough but they turned out very good. If you like tangy, you'll love these.