Recipe by Debi
Simple soup with great flavour. Adapted from Wine, Food & Friends by Karen MacNeil. Serve with a crusty buns. Karen recommends serving this with a crisp and aromatic Gewurztraminer or Dry Riesling
Top Review by tkelley
Very similar to the soup I was craving from a local restaurant for $10 per bowl. I reduced the amount of coconut milk, left the mushrooms raw, served the soup over rice, and topped it with fresh tomato, raw mushroom, and additional chopped cilantro, with chili sauce to taste.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh ginger, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 -3 teaspoons lemongrass (herb paste)
- 3 (10 ounce) cans chicken broth, fat-free low sodium
- cooking spray
- 8 -12 ounces chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (sombel oelek)
- 1 cup sugar snap pea, halved crosswise
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a bowl. Discard solids. Return infused broth to pan.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat/ coat with cooking spray and add chicken. Cook about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Remove from pan.
- Add mushrooms to pan, saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, coconut milk, fish sauce and chili paste to broth in saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add peas; cook 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in basil and lime juice.