Recipe by CountryLady
These NEVER last in my home! I usually double the ingredients & do about 10 lbs of those tiny, little onions at a time. I hate peeling them so my motto is......"if you don't help, then you don't eat". I never have any trouble getting "volunteers"!!! The elapsed time is overnight but I've guessed at the prep time - it depends on the "volunteers" and whether or not, you're drinking wine!!
- 4 quarts silver skin onions
- 1 cup salt
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup mixed pickling spices
- dried chili
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover onions with boiling water.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Drain& cover with cold water.
- Peel& place into a large (NON METAL) bowl or container.
- Add salt, cover with cold water& let stand OVERNIGHT.
- Drain onions, rinse well with cold water& drain again.
- Set aside.
- Combine vinegar& sugar in a large, heavy pot; tie spices into a cheesecloth bag& add to pot.
- Bring to a boil& boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove spice bag, add onions to the boiling liquid& boil for another 3- 5 minutes.
- Place onions in hot, sterilized jars.
- Add a small, dried chili pepper (or 5- 6 pepper corns) to each jar.
- Fill with hot liquid to 1/4 inch of top of jar& seal immediately.
- Store in cool, dark spot for at least a month before serving.