Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love the combo of juicy summer peaches with zippy hot peppers. This spread is great on an English muffin with cream cheese as a sweet treat, but works equally well as a topping for grilled salmon. The jelly is quite colorful and also makes a nice holiday gift when the days of summer are long gone. Note: Adjust the amount and type of peppers to your own personal taste and desire for "heat."
- 4 large peaches (peeled and mashed)
- 1 cup tomatoes (peeld and mashed)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh hot pepper, seeded and chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons red bell peppers, chopped fine
- 6 tablespoons powdered fruit pectin
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 7 dried red chilies
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine mashed peaches and tomatoes, fresh hot peppers, lime juice, onion, red bell pepper, red pepper flakes, and cayenne.
- Stir in the powdered pectin (a 1-3/4 oz. packet). Bring to a boil.
- Stir in the sugar and butter and return to a full rolling boil that can't be stirred down.
- Remove pot from heat and skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Put a dried red chili in each of your sterilized, hot, half-pint canning jars. Ladle the spread immediately into jars, allowing 1/4 inch head-space at top.
- Be sure to wipe the jars and adjust the lids before you process them in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars and cool on wire racks.