Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe published in the Oregonian's Food Day. *It calls for toasting the peanuts in the oven - but unless I'm using the oven for something else I toast them in a skillet, or use the toaster oven.
- 1⁄4 cup onion, sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon margarine or 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup enriched long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 green onion, sliced
- salt and pepper
- *Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook onion with water in a nonstick skillet for 5 minutes; Add margarine and rice and cook several seconds until rice is coated with margarine.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer; Cover and continue to simmer 15 minutes, until rice is cooked through and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with foil and place chopped peanuts on foil and sprinkle with cayenne. Toast in oven 5 minutes (*I also just use a skillet to toast the peanuts).
- When rice is cooked, stir in peanuts and green onions; Add salt and pepper to taste.