Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food (originaly from the Macaroni company, can't remember which one.)
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons chicken flavor instant bouillon
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into small strips
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tarragon leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to box instructions.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large frypan, melt 2 tablespoons butter,.
- Add chicken, bouillon and garlic,stir fry until chicken is browned.
- Remove chicken.
- Add remaining butter and next 6 ingredients.
- Stir fry 1 minute.
- Cover and cook just until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in macaroni, chicken and peas.
- Heat through.
- Blend milk and flour,.
- Stir into macaroni mixture.
- Add cheese, cook stirring gently until cheese melts.
- Refrigerate left-overs.
This was a very lovely recipe and I'm sure it stands well as it is written, but I needed to make it fit my needs...so some very small changes. To lower the sodium amount, I replaced the bouillons with poultry seasoning and 1/2tsp Mrs Dash (regular). I did salt the pasta water. Recipe didn't say if the tarragon was fresh or dried so I used dried. I cut the chicken down to one small breast since I was going to serve this with meatloaf. Add two extra garlic cloves which I minced after smashing them. Since I was making this as a side, I upped the pasta by 1/2 cup, milk by 1/4cup and flour by 1/4tbls. When done cooking, I felt it was a bit bland so I added 1/4 tsp chili paste before adding the cheese. This was a very nice dish to the meatloaf and was enjoyed by all. Thanks for another great recipe...and...PLEASE get well. I sure could use more of your ideas!! (Nah, just get well!)