Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Comfort food (originaly from the Macaroni company, can't remember which one.)
Make and share this Hot Macaroni Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, divided
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons chicken flavor instant bouillon
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into small strips
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tarragon leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to box instructions.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large frypan, melt 2 tablespoons butter,.
- Add chicken, bouillon and garlic,stir fry until chicken is browned.
- Remove chicken.
- Add remaining butter and next 6 ingredients.
- Stir fry 1 minute.
- Cover and cook just until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in macaroni, chicken and peas.
- Heat through.
- Blend milk and flour,.
- Stir into macaroni mixture.
- Add cheese, cook stirring gently until cheese melts.
- Refrigerate left-overs.
This was a very lovely recipe and I'm sure it stands well as it is written, but I needed to make it fit my needs...so some very small changes. To lower the sodium amount, I replaced the bouillons with poultry seasoning and 1/2tsp Mrs Dash (regular). I did salt the pasta water. Recipe didn't say if the tarragon was fresh or dried so I used dried. I cut the chicken down to one small breast since I was going to serve this with meatloaf. Add two extra garlic cloves which I minced after smashing them. Since I was making this as a side, I upped the pasta by 1/2 cup, milk by 1/4cup and flour by 1/4tbls. When done cooking, I felt it was a bit bland so I added 1/4 tsp chili paste before adding the cheese. This was a very nice dish to the meatloaf and was enjoyed by all. Thanks for another great recipe...and...PLEASE get well. I sure could use more of your ideas!! (Nah, just get well!)