Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My friend Liza, who works for my parent company, just emailed me this recipe. Liza likes to surf Zaar for recipes, but hasn't joined as a member yet. She's letting me post her recipe (which sounds really yummy). Hopefully, she'll post some of her own soon!
- 500 g cucumbers
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- As per the recipe: Peel and slice the cucumbers.
- Melt the butter/marg in large saucepan and saute the onion until transparent.
- Stir in the flour.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the sliced cucumber and cook until tender.
- Puree in electric blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in lemon juice.
- Just before serving, mix in the cream.
- What Liza does: I use alot more cucumbers, maybe+- 800/900g and add a touch more water to the stock amount.
- I use more onions, approx.
- 2 med-large.
- Don't use more lemon juice as it changes the taste of the soup.
- Once the soup is cooked (ie. the cucumbers are tender), puree the soup: and options: can either leave the soup as it is; or put in one tub of sour cream; or don't put sour cream in the pot and only serve with sour cream as garnish.
- It's yummy.
This is really yummy! I used Lisa's suggestion for more cukes and I'm glad I did. It would have been bland and tasteless without the additional cucumber. I used tetra chicken stock, one medium yellow and one medium red onion to give a bit of colour. Served it hot, but ate leftovers cold. It's yummy chilled as well!