Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
a Rachel Ray recipe
Make and share this Horseradish-Mashed-Potato Shepherd's Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 5 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons horseradish, prepared
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons chives, chopped fresh
- Place potatoes in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Salt the water, lower the heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, then mash with the milk until smooth. Stir in the egg and the horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the parsnips, carrots, onion and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Crumble the beef into the pan and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the beef broth and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with Worcestershire sauce and plenty of salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease a shallow medium casserole dish, add the meat mixture and top with the horseradish potatoes. Bake until golden, 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle the chives on top.