Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
from Creative Cook's Kitchen recipe book.
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar or 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- MAKING THE CREME BRULEE:.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Arrange 6 ramekins in a 13- x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, heat half-and-half, honey and salt over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until small bubbles form around side of pan, 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat.
- In a medium bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks and whole egg. Gradually whisk half-and-half mixture into eggs; stir in vanilla.
- Set a fine mesh sieve over a 1-quart glass measuring cup. Pour custard through sieve to strain.
- Pour strained custard into ramekins. Place baking pan on center oven rack. Pour boiling water into pan until it comes halfway up sides of ramekins.
- Bake custards until edges are set and a small knife inserted in center comes out creamy, about 25 minutes.
- Remove ramekins from hot water bath; let cool completely. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- CARAMELIZING THE CUSTARDS:.
- Preheat boiler. Place custard-filled ramekins in a 13- x 9-inch baking pan; surround ramekins with ice cubes to keep custard cold and prevent cracking. Sprinkle about 1 1/2 tbs superfine sugar on top of each custard. Spray each with a little water.
- Broil custards, turning ramekins as needed to evenly caramelize sugar, about 2 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Place each ramekin on a dessert plate; drizzle custards with honey. Serve immediately.