Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup wheat flakes cereal, lightly crushed
- 1 cup rolled rye meal
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- On a large baking sheet with sides, spread out oats; toast in oven 15 minutes, and then spoon into a large bowl.
- Add Wheaties and rolled rye; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine honey, maple syrup, and canola oil; then pour into a medium saucepan.
- Heat over a medium-high flame until bubbly and hot.
- Remove from stove and let cool 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour over oat mixture.
- Stir gently and spread out on a baking sheet.
- Bake, turning often with a spatula until toasted, 10 to 14 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning.
- Add pecans, wheat germ, sesame seeds, and dried cherries.
- Bake 5 more minutes, turning 3 to 4 times, until brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- (Can be stored in an airtight container 4 to 6 days at room temperature or 3 weeks in the refrigerator.) Serve with milk or as a topping over yogurt.