Recipe by drhousespcatcher
From Brand Name Vegetarian from the National Honey Board. I was wondering what to do with those exotic honeys I bought. Note I have omitted the butter without subsitute and it works well.
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups winter squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 turnip, pared and cubed
- 2 carrots, pared and sliced
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Take Control Light spread or 2 tablespoons butter, melted or 2 tablespoons Butter Buds
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the squash, turnip, carrots and onion over 1 inch of boiling water in a large skillet for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Drain. Combine the rest in a bowl. Drizzle over squash and toss to coat in a heated serving dish.
- A second option is to bake the squash in the oven [cut in half and bake at 325F until skin can be pierced with a fork.] along with the quartered onion [for a more Carmel taste]. Steam the other veggies as directed. Peel the squash and add to mix of onion, turnips and carrots.
- If using Butter buds simply sprinkle into the dressing. Use the equivalent of 2 tbsp butter. Read the container. Note if Vegetarian use acceptable substitute for you.
- I use Dumpling Squash. NOTE not all Vegetarians eat honey. If preparing this for others please be sure to confirm their diet.